New Standards for a New Generation
NSTA welcomes new science education standards that provide a cohesive approach to K–12 science instruction. The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) establish learning expectations for students that integrate three important dimensions—science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas, and crosscutting concepts—effectively builds science concepts from kindergarten through 12th grade, and integrates important concepts of engineering. The NGSS are based on the NRC Framework for K–12 Science Education.
Twenty-six states led the development of Next Generation Science Standards through a broad collaborative process including many teachers and stakeholders. NSTA was a partner in the standards development process. View the NGSS at www.nextgenscience.org. Locate background information from NSTA, as well as Frequently Asked Questions, and video clips.
NSTA: Supporting the Implementation of Next Generation Science Standards
NGSS has the potential to significantly improve science education by establishing educational goals for all students to prepare them to enter college or the STEM workforce and to be informed citizens. NSTA encourages states to adopt the standards and commit the resources and support structures needed to effectively implement the standards. NSTA is committed to supporting science educators, leaders, and states to help them prepare for NGSS implementation.
Your Complete Guide to the Next Generation Science Standards
NSTA Resources are the Pathway to NGSS
Science educators can access web seminars, articles from peer-reviewed journals, NSTA Press books, short courses and face-to-face conference lectures and workshops, all designed to build an understanding of the standards and provide a pathway for incorporating the standards into classroom instruction.
- Books and Publications: NSTA is your complete source for credible and timely publications on NGSS. Purchase your own print copy of the standards from NSTA coming in September, or order the NSTA Reader's Guide to the Next Generation Science Standards now! Books on the scientific and engineering practices and elementary science instruction are coming soon!
- Professional Development Opportunities: From short courses to summer institutes, principal institutes to conference sessions, NSTA is your source of teacher professional development opportunities on NGSS.
- Web Seminar Series: Learn about NGSS through NSTA's series of free interactive web seminars on NGSS. Register now for upcoming programs or view past programs in the archive.
- Journal Articles: Learn about NGSS core concepts and ideas from NSTA's growing collection of journal articles authored by NGSS lead writers and others. Articles examine the practices, crosscutting concepts, connections to common core, and more.
- Connect and Collaborate with Colleagues: A vibrant conversation is always taking place on NSTA community networks. Discuss with colleagues, stay informed, and get answers in the NGSS listserv (members only), NGSS discussion board, NSTA blog, and Facebook.
Get Ready for More
NSTA has much more in the works to help science educators realize the vision of NGSS. The NGSS@NSTA Portal is coming soon. It will be the NGSS home base for science educators, providing access to vetted and aligned resources, tools to help plan instruction and professional development, and more. Look for multiday teacher and principal institutes that will help leaders gain a clear understanding of the NGSS and what will be necessary to effectively implement them at the district, school, and classroom levels, and an NGSS SciPack that will use the standards to inform instruction.
QUESTIONS? E-mail your questions or concerns about the NGSS to email@example.com.