AWS Unit 3: Making and Using Models
In this unit, the students will construct three-dimensional models to help make the invisible visible. Objective To construct models of the Earth's longitude-latitude grid and use them to demonstrate how the Earth's motions cause the changes in daylight hours and seasons that we observe.
- 1 styrofoam sphere, 15.2 cm (6") in diameter, per student
- Narrow strips of paper or ribbon, in two different colors
- Yellow construction paper, 4.5" x 12"
- Black construction paper, 9" x 12"
- Cardboard, 9" x 12"
- Protractor Ruler
- A disk cut from a manila folder, 12.5 cm (5") in diameter
- A large rubber ball
- A Trippensee planetarium (optional)
National Science Teachers Association
1840 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22201-3000
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org