| The CyberTeaser
| Quantum News
| Miscellaneous Stuff
Quantum CyberTeaser: May/June 1996
Counting liars. The population of the island of Pianosa is 100. Some of the
inhabitants always lie, the others always tell the truth. Each islander worships one of
three gods: the Sun god, the Moon god, or the Earth god. One day a visiting anthropologist
asked each inhabitant the following questions:
- Do you worship the Sun god?
- Do you worship the Moon god?
- Do you worship the Earth god?
There were 60 yes answers to the first question, 40 yes answers
to the second question, and 30 yes answers to the third. How many liars live
on the island?
- Oleg Shpyrko (Rochester, New York)
- Xi-an Li (Middlebury, Vermont)
- Sabrina Sowers (Baltimore, Maryland)
- Matthew Wong (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Maeline Krig (Minnesota)
- Anna Domnich (Holbrook, New York)
- Amy Forster (Cygnet, Australia)
- Marc Oliver Rieger (Konstanz, Germany)
- Jeff Canter (Nashville, Tennessee)
- May T. Lim (Quezon City, Philippines)
Quantum Control Panel
Information | Background | The CyberTeaser | Quantum News | Miscellaneous Stuff
Copyright © 1996 National
Science Teachers Association
All rights reserved