Ideas For Use
Science Objects are two hour learning experiences teachers can use to enhance their understanding of a particular scientific concept. Teachers can access any topic “on demand” from the Internet. Topics are based on the science literacy goals in the national standards (NSES, Science for All Americans, Benchmarks, and the Atlas of Scientific Literacy) and tied to state standards.
Each Science Object provides an understanding of the science content by providing a structured set of learning experiences through simulations and practice assessments. Science Objects challenge teachers to explore and explain real world phenomena and are founded on the principle that learners must be challenged with a problem, observation, data, etc., in order to develop scientific understanding. Science Objects utilize the five phases of inquiry-based learning: Engage, Explore, Explain, Elaborate, and Evaluate.
Universe: The Origin and Evolution of the Universe
- Provide a basic description of the conditions at the beginning of the universe.
- Give the approximate age of the universe.
- Recognize the scientific account of the current state of the universe given different explanations.
- Explain the evidence for an expanding universe.
- Describe, in simple terms, how scientists use observations of position and motion to learn about objects in the universe.