|Type of Product:||Book Chapter
based on 1 review
|Publication Title:||More Picture-Perfect SCIENCE Lessons: Using Children’s Books to Guide Inquiry, K-4
|Grade Level:||Elementary School
|See Also:||View all available chapters for this book
View the full version of this book
Learners explore the invention process by learning about inventions throughout history and how inventions fill needs or wants, by improving existing inventions, and by keeping a toy invention journal. They further their understandings of the risks and benefits of inventions by testing toys and comparing the fun rating and the safety rating of each toy. This free selection includes the Table of Contents, Foreword, Preface, sections About the Authors and About the Picture-Perfect Program, and reproducible instructional materials. As a special bonus, Chapter 1 is also included, which discusses the reasons why picture books should be read in science class.
Ideas For Use
In grades K-4, the standards suggest studying familiar inventions to determine function and to identify problems solved, materials used, and how well the product does what it is supposed to do. The purpose of this lesson is to encourage students’ creativity, imagination, and problem-solving skills with activities that focus on the technological design process.
(mouse over for full classification)
Nature of science and technology
|Intended User Role:||Curriculum Supervisor, Elementary-Level Educator, Parent, Teacher
|Educational Issues:||Assessment of students, Classroom management, Curriculum, Inquiry learning, Instructional materials, Interdisciplinary, Integrating technology, Professional development, Teacher content knowledge, Teacher preparation, Teaching strategies
|Requirements:||Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
National Standards Correlation
This resource has 7 correlations with the National Standards.
- Science and Technology
- Abilities of technological design
- Identify a simple problem.
- Propose a solution.
- Evaluate a product or design.
- Evaluate completed technological designs or products
- Understanding about science and technology
- People have always had problems and invented tools and techniques (ways of doing something) to solve problems.
- Trying to determine the effects of solutions helps people avoid some new problems.
- Content Standards
- Quality Teaching
- Deepens educators’ content knowledge, provides them with research-based instructional strategies to assist students in meeting rigorous academic standards, and prepares them to use various types of classroom assessments appropriately. (NSDC)
||A Picture Perfect Invention Lesson
||Reviewed by: Caryn Meirs (Smithtown, NY) on August 3, 2011
||This is a great lesson using simple available toys. Students explore the toys as inventions in a guided inquiry process. This is a great lesson on its own for primary students or an excellent launching point for 3rd/4th graders. Excellent resources included.
If you wish to add your review, click here.