|Type of Product:||e-Book (our e-books are in PDF format and can be viewed on your computer or any compatible reading device) (also see print version of this book)
|Grade Level:||Elementary School, Informal Education
Your job: taking lofty educational goals and achieving them in the real world. Your best source of help: The Pathways books--one for elementary, middle, and high school--are brimming with practical guidance for putting the Standards into action. Packed with specific teaching suggestions, great for both seasoned educators and novice teachers. What's more, all three books show you how to convert administrators, school boards, and other decision-makers into strong allies for science education reform. Each book has color photos, plus a long list of recommended readings--readily available in libraries or fully "browse-able" in the Resources for the Road CD-ROM.
(mouse over for full classification)
|Intended User Role:||Elementary-Level Educator, Informal Educator, New Teacher, Professional Development Provider, Teacher
|Educational Issues:||Achievement, Assessment of students, Classroom management, Curriculum, Educational research, Informal education, Inquiry learning, Instructional materials, Learning theory, Teacher preparation, Teaching strategies
How to Use This Book
Science Teaching Standards
• Realizing the Teaching Standards
Professional Development Standards
• Reaching for the Professional
• Exploring the Assessment Standards
• Mapping the Content Standards
• Nature of the Learner
• Science as Inquiry
• Physical Science
• Life Science
• Earth and Space Science
• Science and Technology
• Science in Personal and Social
• History and Nature of Science
• Moving into the Program Standards
• Navigating the Systems Standards
• Appendix A: National Science Education Standards:
Some Relevant History
• Appendix B: National Science Education Standards
• Appendix C: Designing Elementary School Science Facilities
• Appendix D: Addresses for Program Information
• Appendix E: Science For All: Including Each Student
Customers who bought this item also bought
National Standards Correlation
This resource has 13 correlations with the National Standards.
- Science as Inquiry
- Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry
- Ask a question about objects, organisms, and events in the environment. (K-4)
- Use appropriate tools and techniques to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- Communicate scientific procedures and explanations.
- Understandings about scientific inquiry
- Types of investigations include describing objects, events, and organisms; classifying them; and doing a fair test (experimenting).
- Scientists develop explanations using observations (evidence) and what they already know about the world (scientific knowledge). Good explanations are based on evidence from investigations. (K-4)
- Context of Professional Development
- Learning Communities
- Organizes adults into learning communities whose goals are aligned with those of the school and district. (NSDC)
- Provide opportunities for teachers to receive feedback about their teaching and to understand, analyze, and apply that feedback to improve their practice. (NSES)
- Support the sharing of teacher expertise by preparing and using mentors, teacher advisers, coaches, lead teachers, and resource teachers to provide professional development opportunities. (NSES)
- Process Standards for Professional Development
- Build on the teacher's current science understanding, ability, and attitudes. (NSES)
- Incorporate ongoing reflection on the process and outcomes of understanding science through inquiry. (NSES)
- Provides educators with the knowledge and skills to collaborate. (NSDC)
- Collaboration among the people involved in programs, with clear respect for the perspectives and expertise of each. (NSES)
- Content Standards
- Quality Teaching
- Deepens educators’ content knowledge, provides them with research-based instructional strategies to assist students in meeting rigorous academic standards, and prepares them to use various types of classroom assessments appropriately. (NSDC)
This resource has not yet been reviewed by a customer.
If you wish to review this resource, click here.