|Type of Product:||e-Book (our e-books are in PDF format and can be viewed on your computer or any compatible reading device) (also see print version of this book)
|Grade Level:||Elementary School, Middle School
|Read Inside:||Read a sample chapter: Designing and Constructing a Load-Bearing Structure
Science does not exist in a vacuum and, therefore, shouldn’t be taught that way. In that spirit, Activities Linking Science With Math, 5-8, is a hands-on guide for preservice and inservice elementary and middle school teachers who want to connect science instruction with other areas of study—including visual arts, social sciences, language arts, and especially math.
The 20 discovery-based and academically rigorous activities provided in this volume enrich students’ awareness of the world around them, encourage their natural curiosity, and promote the development of their problem-solving skills. The lessons—such as Studies in Symmetry, The Tower Challenge, and Determining the Size and Shape of the Blind Spot—are teacher friendly, too, requiring no advanced expertise in any subject area and using only inexpensive and easily accessible materials. Each includes a list of needed materials, a step-by-step procedure, discussion questions, and assessment techniques.
Activities align with the latest national standards for both science and math and cover topics from all scientific disciplines.
(mouse over for full classification)
Science process skills
|Intended User Role:||Curriculum Supervisor, Elementary-Level Educator, Middle-Level Educator, Teacher
|Educational Issues:||Assessment of students, Classroom management, Curriculum, Educational research, Inquiry learning, Instructional materials, Interdisciplinary, Professional development, Teacher preparation, Teaching strategies
Matrix: Key Instructional Strategies Used in Each Activity
Activity 1: Studies in Symmetry
Activity 2: Surveying Science and Mathematics on the Internet
Activity 3: Examining Current Events in Science, Mathematics, and Technology
Activity 4: The Tower Challenge
Activity 5: Designing and Constructing a Load-Bearing Structure
Activity 6: Investigating the Pinhole Camera and Camera Obscura
Activity 7: Recording Images Using a Simple Pinhole Camera
Activity 8: Learning About Levers
Activity 9: Layered Liquids
Activity 10: Calculating the Speed of Sound
Activity 11: Exploring the Dynamics of Temperature
Activity 12: Observing the Effects of Acids and Bases on Eggs
Activity 13: Discovering Sand and Sand Paintings
Activity 14: Heat Exchange in Air, Water, and Soil
Activity 15: Developing a Model of the Earth’s Inner Structure
Activity 16: Determining the Size and Shape of the Blind Spot
Activity 17: Investigating Perception and Illusion
Activity 18: Determining the Relationship Between Height and Hand Length
Activity 19: Exploring Cellular Shape Using Area
Activity 20: Please Pass the Pollen: Flowering Plants, Pollination, and Insect Pollinators
Customers who bought this item also bought
National Standards Correlation
This resource has 6 correlations with the National Standards.
- Process Standards for Professional Development
- Introduce teachers to scientific literature, media, and technological resources that expand their science knowledge and their ability to access further knowledge. (NSES)
- Build on the teacher's current science understanding, ability, and attitudes. (NSES)
- Teaching Standards
- Teachers of science plan an inquiry-based science program for their students.
- Select science content and adapt and design curricula to meet the interests, knowledge, understanding, abilities, and experiences of students.
- Select teaching and assessment strategies that support the development of student understanding and nurture a community of science learners.
- Teachers provide students with the time, space, and resources needed to learn science.
- Create a setting for student work that is flexible and supportive of science inquiry.
- Science as Inquiry
- Abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry
This resource has not yet been reviewed by a customer.
If you wish to review this resource, click here.