Online Connections: The Science Teacher
The Aurora Borealis
- Student Worksheet
- Solar wind velocity data and answer key
- Solar storm answer key
- Connecting to the Next Generation Science Standards
The Lives of Staph (Idea Bank)
Water and Sanitation
Do Not Disturb the Flow!
Using Climate Models to Learn About Global Climate Change
Using Pop Culture to Teach Genetics
Evolutionary Relationships Argument
They Really Used to Think That?
Accessible Physics for All
- CER sentence starters
- CODAP reference sheet
- Conclusion graphic organizer
- Elementary graphic organizer
- Kickball Challenge directions: full | short
- Present your findings
- Progress over time
How Many Fish Are Really in the Sea?
Is This Watershed Contaminated with PCBs?
Finding the Next Diamond Mine
Comics in the Classroom
Investigating Land Ethics
The Trouble with Tavy
Migratory Patterns of Birds of Prey
The Carbon Cycle and Climate Change
The "Marvel"-ous Nature of Science
- Acquiring and caring for captive-bred Madagascar hissing cockroaches
- Handout: Food preference as a behavioral reproductive trait of the Madagascar hissing cockroach
- Handout: Replicating roaches
Chemistry in the Kitchen
Investigating Urban Trees
The Perfect Match
Genetics for All
From Bean to Cup
Do Plants Breathe?
Using Scientific Argumentation to Understand Human Impact on the Earth
A Forest in Motion
Making and the 5E Learning Cycle
Solarize Your School
The Teal Spruce
What's Hidden Beneath?
- Appendix A: Categorizing the Motion activity
- Appendix B: Application of Concepts Learned
- Appendix C: Sample table to collect and make sense of data
- Appendix D: Rubric
A Better Way of Farming
Why Not STEM?
The Bold Fold
- List of domains with corresponding wires
- Domain connecting instructions
- DNA templates
- Introduction to The Bold Fold
- mRNA sequences
- Pre-lab handout
- Protein descriptions
- List of supplies
- Transcription instructions
- Translation codon table and instructions
Creative Visual Representation
From DNA to Proteins
Making Science Relevant
Learning from Failed Experiments
Could Your Feed Be Contaminated?
Decoding Careers in DNA
Who Tagged the Bench?
- Lab notes: Can I Eat That?
- Lab notes: Rolling Like Rutherford
- Lab notes: Spectroscope lab
- Lab notes: Who Tagged the Bench?
- Rubric: Who Tagged the Bench?
Love the Lab, Hate the Lab Report?
- Lab report template (example 1)
- Lab report template (example 2)
- Lab partner evaluation
- Public speaker organizer
- Peer evaluation: mini-posters
Using the Land
Bringing Life Processes to Life
- Amino acid cutouts: circles
- Amino acid cutouts: squares
- Table 1. Probing questions, by grade level
- Table 2. Possible extensions, modifications, and suggestions, based on grade level or individual student ability
Boom. Bust. Build.
- City and environmental history rubric
- City plan rubric
- Energy plan rubric
- Environmental restoration plan rubric
- Sustainable home design rubric
- Computational thinking alignment table
- Student doc
The Activity Summary Board
A New Take on "Tried and True"
There's Something in the Water
Arguing Over Life and Death
Grouping Minerals by Their Formulas
A Polarizing View
Idea Bank: Using Apps That Support Scientific Practices
- List of apps
- App alignment to Disciplinary Core Ideas
- App alignment to Science and Engineering Practices
Idea Bank: The Art of Chemistry
Secrets of a Mass Grave
The Science of Little Boy
- Detailed lesson sequence summary table
- Initial thoughts handout
- Causal statements handout
- Final model rubric
- Model testing: does the data fit?
- Claim, evidence, and reasoning handout
- Student examples
- Final evidence-based explanation rubric
Working as a Team
Is the Climate Changing Where We Live?
From Global to Local
What's Inside a Termite's Gut?
How Quickly Do They React?
- Sample abstract
- Sample concept map
- Sample discussion section
- Sample introduction
- Sample methods section
Reasoning From Models
Modeling Periodic Patterns
The Story of Inventions
Supporting Students With Autism
Students as Environmental Educators
Better Formative Assessment
Experimenting with Extinction
- Excerpt from The Corpuscular Theory of Matter
- Excerpt from The Theory of Atomic Structure
- History of the Atom worksheet
- Timeline summative assessment
Turning into Ice
Materials Science and the Problem of Garbage
Learning from the Fruit Fly
Settling the Score
- Case study reading handout with embedded questions
- Case study challenge problems
- Case study activity
The Microscopic World of Diatoms
- Diatom identification key
- Differentiation strategies
- Field collection data sheet
- Field procedure for collecting epilithic diatoms
- Protocols for processing diatom samples
- Student spreadsheet of diatom data
Idea Bank: Measurement By the Numbers
The Art-Science Connection
- DNA extraction protocol
- Germ art, lake microscopy protocols
- Muscles at work lab protocol
- Power to the patient protocol
- Sensory overload protocol
- Stomatal imprints protocol
Getting an A in STEM
- Landscape drawing requirements
- Elemental mola project description and rubric
- Elemental mola data sheet
- Feldman landscape critique worksheet
- Molecules project description
Sculpting the Barnyard Gene Pool
Find Your Center
Separating a Mixture
Explaining Ramps With Models
Computer-Aided Drug Design
Which Comes First—Language or Content?
Science's Super Star
Does It Mix?
Building a Greener Future
A Virtuous Cycle
Shedding Light on the "Science of Small"
Making Critical Friends
How Do Siamese Cats Get Their Color?
Assessment as Learning
Wired for Controversy
Clearing the Air
- "Exploring Planck's Law" and "The Plate Model of the Greenhouse Effect" worksheets
- Answer keys for the worksheets
The Learning Portal
Hummingbird Citizen Science
- Detailed lesson plan
- Instructional resources
- Biodiversity definition
- Flower inquiry
Sewing Up Science
A Cool Controversy
Teaching the Manhattan Project
The E-mail Lab
- Health myth list (Word)
- Health myth list (PDF)
Making Molecular Movies
Sampling in the Snow
Policy, Literacy, and Energy
- Book review worksheet
- Compare and contrast chart
- Connections to the Standards
- Energy policy evaluation rubric
- Introductory letter to students
Fields of Fuel
Doing the Data Walk
Treating Pompe Disease
The Community Connection
- Connections to the standards
- Final project proposal rubric
- Final project rubric
- Project brainstorming worksheet
- Project development
- Teacher recommendations
Catching the Wrong Species
Engineering Design Challenge
An Engineer Does What Now?
Make Room for Engineering
The Graph Choice Chart
Reflecting on Data
Adapting to the Environment
Scientists at Work
Next Generation Botany
Using Mobile Devices in Field Science
Supporting Newly Hired Teachers
Discovering Our Stellar Neighborhood
Graphing the Past
Striding Through Time
The New Teacher's Toolbox
- Supplemental Materials (PDF)
- Supplemental Materials (Word)
Beyond "Hitting the Books"
- Support Materials (PDF)
- Support Materials (Word)
Pinpointing Watershed Pollution on a Virtual Globe
Using Infographics in the Science Classroom
Learning by Sorting: Labels
A New Take on the Field Trip
- How-to instructions
- PowerPoint with further directions
- Arizona Virtual Field Experience
- SP Crater Student Handout
- Mount Etna Virtual Field Experience
- Mount Etna Companion questions
Where’s That Dolphin?
- Student Report Form
- Additional Sightings Summary Sheets
- Answer Key
- Map Key
- More Map Keys
- Assessment Forms
- Where’s That Dolphin (PowerPoint)
Inexpensive Equipment for the Physics Classroom
All Screwed Up
Theories, Laws, and Hypotheses
Antarctica’s Pine Island Glacier: A “Climate Canary”?
The Language of Argumentation
Hook, Line,and Sinker
- Background Information
- Discussion Questions
- Role Play Student Instructions
- Role Play Assessment Rubric
- Sample Role Cards
- Student Record Sheet
New Teacher Toolbox
The Ethanol Project
Health Wise: Unplug to Power Up
Reading the Ice
Health Wise: Look Better, Feel Better
A Science That Saves Lives
- Paper Car Crash Design Challenge Instructions
- Project Assessment Information
- Web Quest Activity Worksheet
Design Practices and Misconceptions
Health Wise: Curbing Texting While Driving
Flying Into Inquiry
Citizen Science in Your Own Backyard
Be Your Own Groundhog
Make Your Own Phylogenetic Tree
- Grading Rubric
- Printable Data Sheet
- Raw Data from Figure 3
- Fillable Data Sheet
- Directions for Students
- Teaching Tips
It’s All in the Particle Size
Health Wise: Better Grades Through Sleeping?
Complexity From Simplicity
All Things Being Equal
Scientific Discoveries the Year I Was Born
A Virtual Tour of Plate Tectonics
Now You're Cooking
Making the Argument
- Bodzin, A.M. 2011. The implementation of a geospatial information technology (GIT)-supported land use change curriculum with urban middle school learners to promote spatial thinking. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 48 (3): 281–300.
- Carlone, H.B., J. Haun-Frank, and A. Webb. 2011. Assessing equity beyond knowledge- and skills-based outcomes: A comparative ethnography of two fourth-grade reform-based science classrooms. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 48 (5): 459–485.
- Karelitz, T., E. Fields, A. Jurist Levy, A. Martinez-Gudapakkam, and E. Jablonski. 2011. No child left unqualified: how teachers and principals respond to the highly qualified mandate. Science Educator 20 (1): 1–11.
- Levin, D., and J. Richards. 2011. Learning to attend to the substance of students’ thinking in science. Science Educator 20 (2): 1–11.
- Marshall, J., J. Smart, and R. Horton, R. 2011. Tracking perceived and observed growth of inquiry practice: a formative plan to improve professional development experiences. Science Educator 20 (1): 12–22.
- McElhaney, K., and M. Linn. 2011. Investigations of a complex, realistic task: Intentional, unsystematic, and exhaustive experimenters. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 48 (7): 745–770.
- Quigley, C., K. Pongsanon, and V. Akerson, V. If we teach them, they can learn: Young students views of nature of science during an informal science education program. Journal of Science Teacher Education 22 (2): 129–149.
- Rushton, G.T., C. Lotter, C., and J. Singer. 2011. Chemistry Teachers’ Emerging Expertise in Inquiry Teaching: The Effect of a Professional Development Model on Beliefs and Practice. Journal of Science Teacher Education 22 (1): 23–52.
- Scalise, K., M. Timms, A. Moorjani, L. Clark, K. Holtermann, and P.S. Irvin. 2011. Student learning in science simulations: Design features that promote learning gains. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 48 (9): 1,050–1,078.
- Yerrick, R., J. Schiller, and J. Reisfeld. 2011. “Who are you callin’ expert?”: Using student narratives to redefine expertise and advocacy lower track science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 48 (1): 13–36.
- Zwiep, S. G., W.J. Straits, K.R. Stone, D.D. Beltran, and L. Furtado. The integration of English language development and science instruction in elementary classrooms. Journal of Science Teacher Education 22 (8): 769–785.
Las Rocas Nos Cuentan Su Historia [Rocks Tell Their Stories]
- Pre- and Posttest for Concepts Related to the Hydroponics Activity
- Student Survey
Taking the Leap
Writing and Science Literacy
It’s Your Fault!
Investigating Continental Margins
The Science Fair: A New Look at an Old Tradition
Science in the 21st Century: More Than Just the Facts
Secret in the Margins: Rutherford’s Gold Foil Experiment
- Adopt-a-Dino Project Handout
- Adopt-a-Dino Research Report Rubric
- Adopt-a-Dino Visualization Project Rubric
- Adopt-a-Dino Classroom Presentation Rubric
What Students Really Want in Science Class
Avatar in the Science Classroom
Hydrogel Beads: The New Slime Lab?
A Scientific World in a Grain of Sand
- Periodic Trends: Atomic Radius Answers
- Periodic Trends: Electron Affinity Answers
- Periodic Trends: Electronegativity Answers
- Periodic Trends: Ionization Energy Answers
- Questions the Periodic Table Live! Can Help Students Answer
- The Periodic Table: Element Exploration
Chromonoodles: Jump Into the Gene Pool
- Student Handout: Cell Cycle Physical Quiz and Rubric
- Teacher Directions for Physical Quiz on the Cell Cycle
Fire and Ecological Disturbance
The Reasons for the Seasons
Science 2.0: Stop-Motion Mitosis
Creating a College-Going Culture
Antigenic Shift and Drift
Modeling Natural Selection
A Tale of Four Electrons
One Fish, Two Fish, Redfish, You Fish!
- Additional Resources
- Coastal Development Scenarios Paper Slips for Game 3
- Data Sheet
- Key Words
- Management Tools Paper Slips for Game 2
- Poster Presentation Guidelines and Rubric
- Suggested Answers to Discussion Questions
The Affective Elements of Science Learning
How Much Carbon Is in the Forest?
Wolves in the Wild
A Life Cycle Assessment of Biofuels
The Hudson River Plume
Why Do Athletes Drink Sports Drinks?
The Inquiry Matrix
- Investigating Factors That Affect Plant Development
- Results of Fran’s Reflection and Decision-Making Using MAPSI
Exploring Osmosis and Diffusion
- Rubric for Scoring Lab Reports
- The Movement of Molecules In or Out of Cells: A Guided Inquiry (Adapted from Lawson 1995)
Idea Bank: Skyping Science
Supporting Right-Brained Thinking
- Character Analysis
- Continuing Genetics Education Program
- Critical Analysis Section
- Opening Remarks and Statements of Appreciation
- Reviewer’s Guidelines for Article Submission
What Microbe Are You?
A Virtual Circuits Lab
- Series Circuit Exploratory
- Parallel Circuit Exploratory
- Complex Circuit Exploratory
- Ohm’s Law and Resistance Exploratory
- Application Lab
Generate an Argument: An Instruction Model
Students for Sustainable Energy
Talk Like a Scientist
Leaving Their Legacy
Idea Bank: Lunar “Space Weather” Action Center
Who’s in the Zoo?
Community-Based Inquiry Lessons
Make Your Own Digital Thermometer!
Investigating Aquatic Dead Zones
Meet Us Outside
Writing Better Lab Reports
Laboratory Notebooks in the Science Classroom
Examining Student Work
- Rubric for Analysis of Student Understanding
- Critical Friends Group Protocol
- Tips for Identifying Patterns and Follow-Up Questions
- Analysis of Student Work Record Sheet
Hurricane Katrina: A Teachable Moment
Idea Bank: Earth Systems in Silence
Shrinking Our Footprints
What Happens to Cemetery Headstones?
The Science Behind Nanosunscreens
Teaching With Crystal Structures
Idea Bank: Start a Classroom Library!
Helping New Science Teachers
The Big Sky Inside
Stories in Science
Idea Bank: Vector, Vector—That’s Our Cry!
The Interdisciplinary Study of Biofuels
The Potential Da Vinci in All of Us
Rev Your Engines!
The Art of Physics:
“Life” in Movies:
The Quiet Skies Project:
Teaching the Anatomy of a Scientific Journal Article:
Whole-Class Inquiry Assessment:
Thinking Like an Ecologist:
Recycled Insect Models:
Nemotodes: Model Organisms in High School Biology:
A Cooperative Classroom Investigation of Climate Change:
Scientific Discovery for All: